I decided to change my diet to being vegetarian in November 2013 and haven’t looked back since. Why? Well for a number of reasons including my health and my changed outlook towards food production, injustice of animals etc. I never really ate a lot of meat so it wasn’t a big nor dramatic change to my lifestyle.
However, I have come across various obstacles and challenges, some of which I will now share with you; you may also agree as a fellow or turning vegetarian…
- You will search high and low on Netflix or the internet for food-related programmes.If you haven’t watched these already I highly recommend: Vegucated, Forks over Knives, Food Matters and Hungry for Change.
- Vegetarian books are interesting. My latest find is Eating Animals by Jonathan Foer which I have just started reading!
- You will become obsessed with houmous. It goes with everything, seriously.
- If you go out for a meal with carnivores (or you may call them friends), expect to be called a ‘fussy eater’ or ‘silly’. I have come across both of these, however I still love my friends dearly despite them not fully understanding my reasons behind being vegetarian.
- Similarly to the above, be prepared for limited options on some restaurant or pub menus. A lot of eating establishments are getting better at catering for vegetarians but not all.
- You will revel in buying fresh fruit and vegetables; trust me there is nothing more exciting than have bags full of fresh food. The smell, ahhh….
- Falafel wraps are the best thing ever. I am talking falafels, lemon juice, coleslaw, lettuce, beetroot, grated carrot, houmous, olives, chilli, tomatoes, pesto, guacamole in a tasty wholemeal pitta bread.
- Tofu can actually be extremely tasty when cooked properly and can be used in a variety of dishes.
- Your parents won’t really understand why you have gone to a vegetarian diet.
- Take your own food to friend’s houses when staying over.
- Protein can actually be found in other foods than meat.
- I crave healthy food and think now, more than ever, about what I am eating and I feel good about it.
- Cooking as a vegetarian isn’t adventurous!
- Everyone will tell you that you’re missing out on ‘bacon’, “oh the smell…”
- You love being vegetarian!
I know the last one is a bit cliché but it is true.
What have you found after crossing over to the dark side?