This is my recipe for a simple Mushroom Quiche made with shortcrust pastry. It is no frills, no mess. It is perfect for a savoury snack or midweek dinner. It is also deliciously vegetarian!
You’ll need a 9 inch quiche dish, baking paper and baking beads for the recipe below.
175g Plain flour
100g Unsalted butter
1 Egg yolk
220g Mushrooms (any variety)
100g Camembert or soft cheese
3 tbsp Cottage cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180ᵒc / Gas Mark 4 / 350ᵒF.
- Mix together the flour and butter using your hands until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Use a fork and stir in the egg yolk. Leave the leftover egg white to one side (to be used later on for the quiche’s filling).
- Adding a tablespoon of water at a time, bind together the pastry mix using a fork. This is a slow process so do not be in a rush to add too much water. If you do, simply add some flour to absorb the wetness.
- Once you have a pastry/dough like consistency, roll it out into a circular shape for your dish. Leave enough for the pastry to hang over your dish and this can be removed later on.
- Grease your quiche dish and gently place the pastry into it.
- Use baking paper to cover your pastry and add baking beads to cover the bottom.
- Bake the pastry for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the paper and beads and cook for a further 10 minutes. Use a fork to create a few air holes on the bottom of the pastry before placing back in the oven.
- Remove from the oven and leave to one side. If there is any pastry hanging over the edge of the dish, use a knife to cut it off.
- Gently fry the onions in a little oil and leave to one side.
- Gently fry the mushrooms and remove any excess liquid. No oil is needed to fry them.
- Mix together the onions, mushroom, cottage cheese and distribute evenly into the quiche pastry.
- Chop the soft cheese into small chunks and add to the quiche.
- Mix together the 3 eggs, soya milk and leftover egg white and add a touch of seasoning (salt, pepper and herbs). Give it a good mix!
- Pour evenly into the quiche. Optional extra: if you have any grated cheese in the fridge put this on top of your quiche or add thin slices of tomato.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes until the quiche is golden brown.
I also made a very tasty Spinach, Mushroom and Goats Cheese Quiche a little while ago, take a look!