I absolutely love carrot cake however I haven’t made it in years. The reason being, I normally think it is too ‘faffy! However this recipe is extremely easy; the hardest part is grating the carrots. I will admit that this traybake does not have the ‘wow’ factor compared to your typical, layered carrot cake, however it still tastes just as scrumptious and is nice and light.
For this recipe I used a greased 18cm square tin.
175g Light brown sugar
200g Self-raising flour
1 Tsp Bicarbonate of soda
2 Tsp Cinnamon
Zest of 1 orange
150ml Sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 160ᵒc / Gas Mark 3 / 325ᵒF.
- Grease your tin.
- Grate the carrots and leave to one side.
- Sift the sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. Then add the orange zest and sultanas and mix well.
- Mix the eggs and oil together.
- Add the carrots and egg mixture to the flour, sugar etc. and once mixed, pour into your tin.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes. (In my oven, the cake took 38 minutes).
- Leave the cake to cool on a wire rack. Add frosting if desired (instructions on frosting below the photos).
To make the frosting I mixed 55g butter and 110g cream cheese together. I then (carefully) stirred in 240g icing sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extract and used a palette knife to frost the top of the cake. I then added approximately 100g chopped walnuts; the more the better in my opinion, giving a nice crunchy topping!