I cannot get enough of this Popcorn Tofu! I added mine to a Pad Thai but I think these would make for a nice little side dish, or could be used in a stir fry. I think tofu is so versatile for vegetarians and given the right flavouring, can really bring a different texture and taste to any meal.
I have taken this recipe from Vegan Street Food. The recipe is simple but a little messy to make! I have made numerous recipes from this cookbook and I have got to say they have all been fool proof as well as delicious. The author, Jackie Kearney, showcases a wide range of vegan recipes, all inspired by time spent travelling around Asia with her family. She was a finalist from the 2011 TV series of Masterchef.
6 Tbsp Soy sauce
2 Tsp Chinese five-spice powder
400g Firm tofu
100ml Soya cream (could be adapted to cream if following vegetarian recipe)
150g Wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 Tsp Paprika
600ml Vegetable oil
- Mix together the soy sauce and Chinese five-spice mix.
- Cut the tofu block into bite size pieces.
- Drizzle the mixture over the tofu pieces.
- Put the cornflour in one bowl, soya cream in another bowl and breadcrumbs in (yet) another bowl.
- Add the paprika to the breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Cut a sheet of greaseproof paper and leave to one side. This will be used for putting the tofu pieces on.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok on a medium to high heat.
- Dip each piece of tofu in cornflour, then soya cream and then in the breadcrumbs. Gently pat it so it holds its shape.
- Fry the tofu in batches until crispy and golden.
- Place onto paper towels to remove any excess oil. If you want to keep these warm whilst making the whole batch, simply place in the oven on a low heat.
I really want to oven bake these pieces next time. This would make them slightly healthier and avoid splashing oil everywhere in my kitchen. Are you a fan of tofu?