Autumn is just around the corner and what better way to settle into those cosy nights than these Carrot and Date Muffins. The spices in these muffins smell absolutely divine!
This recipe does not contain any butter or eggs nor any added sugar and each muffin contains two of your five a day.
My recipe below has been adapted from the cookbook Thrive on Five and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
130g plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
360g carrots (grated)
135g dates (chopped)
20g mixed nuts (chopped)
75ml light olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180ᵒc / Gas Mark 4 / 350ᵒF.
2. Place 12 cupcake cases in cupcake tin(s).
3. Grate the carrots and roughly chop the dates and nuts.
4. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl.
5. Stir in the spices and then add in the carrot, dates, sultanas and nuts.
6. Pour in the oil and mix quickly until all the ingredients are combined.
7. Fill all of the cases evenly and do not worry if they are slightly overfilled. Make sure you push any exposed sultanas back into the cake mix as otherwise they can burn and this ruins the overall taste!
8. Bake in the oven for 20-25mins or until well risen and golden brown. Use a skewer to test if they are ready; it should come out clean when they are baked.
9. Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.