Spiced Toffee Apple Cake is synonymous with October. The smell and taste of this cake reminds me of a crispy Autumnal evening with Halloween and Bonfire Night just around the corner. I decided to try this recipe from the BBC Goodfood website.
- Presentation wise this cake looks attractive; the top layer of thinly sliced apple, drizzled with toffee sauce and a sprinkling of icing sugar.
- Easy to make using a hand blender.
- Cheap ingredients, especially if you can pick your own apples!
- The cake isn’t too overpowering and sweet and the spices add a subtle flavour.
- Cooking time took longer than suggested. My cake took 1 hour in total. I had to keep checking the cake with a skewer following the suggested time.
- The cake, although tasty, could have been improved by adding small chunks of apple in the batter.
How would I improve?
- Add small chunks of apple to the cake mixture prior to baking.
- Use wholemeal flour instead.
- Serve this cake warm, straight from the oven.